We have combined elements of the 2020 Young Active Citizen Awards with the 12 year old Youth Citizens Action Programme this year to form the ONLINE Y-CAP 2021.
For this competition the aim is to encourage young people to have a voice and to be heard, especially during this Covid19 pandemic.
This Award is open to all schools in South Africa. There is no entry fee. Entries are limited to the first 500 received.
The projects are judged on impact – the change that was made according to the topic chosen. There must be a measurement of before, during and after the project.
The finalists will be notified in time and if any have trouble accessing wifi or computers we will assist them as organisers so that all finalists are at the online finals event.
You can enter as an Individual or as a Team (with one chosen leader) and you need an adult mentor (usually a teacher) to assist you with the project.
- Covid19 and Youth – How we can adapt to the changes Covid19 has brought, feelings around lockdown, how to cope with new school rules, physical and mental health, hygiene, how to catch up missed school work, how to socialise safely etc
- Questioning, raising awareness of and dealing with one or more of the following social ills:
- Climate change and the environment
- National days of remembrance
- Gender Based Violence
- Food insecurity
- Mental health
Junior: Grade 5 to Grade 7
Intermediate: Grade 8 to 10
Senior: Grade 11 to Grade 12
Types of projects to choose from:
- All projects need to follow the Y-CAP toolkit steps. Then according to which of the three categories you choose, you send a separate submission of one of the following documents:
- Research Project – Research into the problem and what has caused it recommendations with what could be done to stop it (using the topics above) eg find out what caused the problem, why it is a problem and give some suggestions for how it could be solved/lessened
- Action Project – Campaign with actions that have been taken to create awareness or make change in the school or community using the topics above (using the full YCAP toolkit) eg start a peer-learning programme to catch up missed schoolwork during lockdown
- Creative Project – Singing, Dancing, Acting, Poetry etc about one of the above topics to create awareness or make behavioural changes about the topic eg hand-washing song for Covid19 hygiene for young children
Resources for the projects:
You will receive the YCAP toolkit and guidelines to assist with your project and there are videos as well:
Please find your entry form. Once you send in your entry form we will email the toolkit and guidelines for how to complete and submit the projects.
Your entries can be in the form of a portfolio of evidence, a creative work on video or audio, or an oral presentation on video or audio file.
Winners will be chosen by adjudicators and prizes will be couriered to the winners. There will be an announcement of finalists on www.empowervate.org and www.facebook.com/empowervate and all finalists will be invited to an online event where they will be interviewed and winners will be announced.
Entries open 15 March 2021 and close 15 April 2021
Online workshops: 15 April – 15 May 2021
Projects must be submitted by 15 August 2021
Semi-Finalists announced 20 October 2021
Online finals: 16 December 2021
Tablets, media exposure, higher learning vouchers, cash prizes