- We, the Empowervate Trust, a trust registered in accordance with the laws of the Republic of South Africa (“Empowervate“, “we” or “us“) are the “responsible party” for purposes of POPI in respect of all the personal information you submit to us (i) via the website https://www.empowervate.org/ (“Website“), and/or (ii) in any correspondence and/or communication with us, and/or (iii) as part of our Youth Citizen Action Programme (Y-CAP) programme (the “Programme(s)“), and/or (iv) as part of any of our services to you.
- We collect the following personal
information from you:
- information that you provide by filling in forms on the Website. This includes information (such as your name, surname, physical address and email address) provided during the course of donating to Empowervate and when purchasing items from our online shop;
- if you are an educator downloading the application form for our Programme, you may be required to submit information such as the name of the school, the province in which it is located, the school’s contact details, your own personal information, including your contact information, and other details about yourself and the school;
- if you wish to volunteer and download the relevant application form, you may be required to submit personal information such as your date of birth or identity number, gender, details of your parent(s) or guardian(s) if you are a minor, a copy of your curriculum vitae, your contact details and other personal information;
- if you nominate yourself or someone else for an award, such as the Y-CAP Change Agent for Sustainability Award, you may be required to submit the nominee’s and/or your own personal information such as an identity number, school and contact information such as an email address and cellphone number;
- from time to time, we may ask you to provide information relating to protected characteristics, such as your race or marital status;
- if you contact us, we may keep a record of that correspondence;
- we may also ask you to complete user satisfaction surveys that we use for research purposes, although you do not have to respond to them;
- if you would like to subscribe to our newsletter, we will ask you to provide us with your name and surname, physical address, email address and your country of residence; and
- details of your visits to our Website (including, but not limited to, traffic data, location data, weblogs and other communication data, whether this is required for our own billing purposes or otherwise) and the resources that you access.
- Our Website also allows you to set up a user account. You will be asked to register a username and password so that you can gain secure access to your account.
- The supply of your personal information is voluntary, however you acknowledge that we cannot make certain services available to you and/or efficiently facilitate your application for and/or participation in the Programme via the Website if you do not wish to supply such personal information.
- HOW YOUR INFORMATION IS USED AND DISCLOSED
- If you wish to use our Website to download the application forms to volunteer or apply for our Programme, to donate, to subscribe to our newsletter or to contact us, we will need to collect basic information about you, including your personal information.
- We use the personal information we collect from you for a
number of purposes:
- personalising the look and feel of the Website, to fit personal preferences which we have inferred from your usage of the site (see the and “Cookies” section for more information);
- processing your applications to the Programmes, and where required, passing your details on to a relevant third party who assists us with the applications for the Programme and/or the Programme itself, which means you may receive further direct correspondence from them;
- processing your donations (as applicable);
- to send you our newsletter where you have agreed to receive it;
- for equality monitoring purposes, to understand the diversity of our applicant pool (this information is anonymised and aggregated); and
- improving the service and Programmes we offer – for example you may be asked to complete one of our online satisfaction surveys.
- We will not use your personal information for any purpose
(other than as stated above) without your express consent. We will not use or
disclose your personal information to third parties without your consent,
unless the use or disclosure is –
- required in order to comply with applicable law, order of court or legal process served on Empowervate; and/or
- disclosure is necessary to protect and defend the rights or property of Empowervate.
- We work closely with trusted partners with whom we need to share personal information to help us run this Website and provide our services and Programmes.
- We may also provide information to third-party service providers who process information on our behalf to help run some of our internal business operations including email distribution, IT services and customer services.
- You understand that we may disclose or share personal information with third parties as outlined above to operate the Website and provide our services and Programmes. If you are concerned about these arrangements you should not use the Website.
- We will be entitled to disclose your personal information to those of our affiliates, agents, advisors, employees and/or third-party service providers and suppliers who assist us to interact with you via our Website, mobile communications and/or email, and thus need to know your personal information in order to assist us to communicate with you properly and efficiently. We will ensure that all such employees and/or third-party service providers having access to your personal information are bound by appropriate and legally binding confidentiality and non-use obligations in relation to your personal information.
- On rare occasions, we may be required to disclose your personal information due to legal or regulatory requirements. In such instances, we reserve the right to disclose your personal information as required in order to comply with our legal obligations, including but not limited to complying with court orders, warrants, subpoenas, service of process requirements or discovery requests.
- COMMUNICATIONS FROM US
- Where you have indicated that you would like to receive newsletter(s) from us, we may send email alerts and bulletins to inform you about our services, Programmes and news.
- You can also unsubscribe from receiving electronic marketing messages by following the “unsubscribe” instructions included in our communication (and you may change your preferences and cease receiving direct marketing from us through your account settings).
- PROTECTION OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
- We recognize that protecting your privacy is important to you. For this reason, we are committed to protecting the personal information you provide in a variety of ways.
- We will –
- treat your personal information as strictly confidential;
- take appropriate technical and organisational measures to ensure that your personal information is kept secure and is protected against unauthorised or unlawful processing, accidental loss, destruction or damage, alteration, disclosure or access;
- promptly notify you if we become aware of any unauthorised use, disclosure or processing of your personal information;
- upon your request, promptly return or destroy any and all of your personal information in our possession or control.
- We will not retain your personal information longer than the period for which it was originally required, unless we are required by law to do so, or you consent to us retaining such information for a longer period. Where your information is no longer required, we will ensure it is disposed of in a secure manner and, where required by applicable law we will notify you when such information has been disposed of.
- If you register an account with us, please do keep your details up to date and notify us of any changes to the personal information. You can do this by updating your user preferences through your account login or by contacting us using the details set out in paragraph 8.4 below.
- STORAGE AND SECURITY OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
- We will do our best to protect your personal information, and we will use technology that will help us to do this, however, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure and we cannot guarantee the security of your information transmitted to our Website. Any transmission of your information to our Website is entirely at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
- Where you have a user account with us and accordingly a password which enables you to access certain parts of our Website, you are responsible for keeping that password confidential. Please do not share your password with anyone.
- You hereby consent to the transfer, storage or hosting of your personal information on servers outside of South Africa. We will at all times ensure that appropriate security safeguards are in place to secure and protect such personal information.
- COOKIES AND IP ADDRESSES
- 7.1 We may collect information about your computer including, where available, your IP address, operating system and browser type, for system administration and to report aggregate information to our advertisers. This is statistical data about our users’ browsing actions and patterns, and does not identify any individual.
- Cookies enable us to:
- estimate our Website’s audience size and usage pattern;
- store information about your preferences, which allows us to customise the Website according to your individual interests;
- speed up your searches; and
- recognise you when you return to the Website.
- 8.4 below. Please note that we may, where permitted under applicable law, charge a small administrative fee and/or request proof of identity. We will respond to your requests within all applicable timeframes.
- also have the right to lodge a complaint with the information regulator if you think we are in breach of any applicable data protection legislation. The office of the information regulator’s details are as follows –
Tel: 012 406 4818
Fax: 086 500 3351
- You agree to provide accurate, truthful and current information, and not to impersonate or misrepresent any person or entity or falsely state or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with anyone or anything. Failure to adhere to this requirement will entitle Empowervate inter alia, to terminate your use of the Programme, Website and/or services.
- You may access, remove, review, and/or make changes to personal information that you have provided to us. If you register, we may send you certain notifications and advertisements. We may also send you any legally required notifications and certain notifications, including but not limited to, Programme or service-related notices or notices regarding a change to any of our policies. For example, we may send you a notice regarding server problems or scheduled maintenance to the Website. In order to opt-out of receiving these notices, you may need to deactivate your account. You can opt out of certain email communications from us including our marketing and promotional communications by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- NOTIFICATION OF CHANGES