To encourage change agents who participated in the Youth Citizens Action Programme (YCAP) in the past ten years to showcase their successes, impact, sustainability and new projects they started using YCAP tools and processes.
There are three categories:
- Team leader representing the team that completed their projects in the past nine years when they were learners at school, and how YCAP impacted the team since then
- Teacher or Official who is now using the YCAP toolkit for school, community or personal projects, and how YCAP impacted the person
- Individuals who are using the Y-CAP toolkit for school, community or personal projects, and how YCAP impacted the person
All YCAP participants from the past six years are encouraged to come forward with the following information as a summary cover sheet for the application form:
- What did you learn through YCAP?
- Is your original project still continuing?
- Have you started new projects since the original project?
- Discuss the highlights, impact and sustainability report of all the projects
- if possible, give your plan for how your successful project can be replicated in other areas/schools/communities
There will be prizes and an invitation to an award ceremony where the top entrants from each category will be recognised and awarded
Examples of projects that are replicable and sustainable:
- A school in the Eastern Cape decreased faction fighting in the rural community
- A school in Gauteng introduced peer learning to improve marks
- A school in Northern Cape did a campaign to break the silence around rape
- A school in North West started a textbook campaign to collect unused textbooks for use in the schools
- A school in KZN did a wellness programme where they improved the nutritional content of the boarding school meals, introduced exercise classes at the school and made fruit and water available in the classrooms
- A school in Northern Cape raised funds to fence in a graveyard next to the school that was being disrespected by learners as the municipality could not assist
- A school in Eastern Cape reduced late coming and introduced early bird classes
- A school in Mpumalanga designed a plan for a scholar patrol and traffic humps as their school is on a national road. They campaigned at the Traffic Department for their plan to be actioned and they succeeded.
Download the PDF version of the Application form here: Change Agent Award Application Form YCAP 2019